Skip to content

'A Doll For Everyone': Meet Mattel's Gender-Neutral Doll | TIME

'A Doll For Everyone': Meet Mattel's Gender-Neutral Doll | TIME

How the brand behind Barbie is planning to redefine stereotypes with a doll for all children, regardless of gender.
Subscribe to TIME ►► http://po.st/SubscribeTIME

Get closer to the world of entertainment and celebrity news as TIME gives you access and insight on the people who make what you watch, read and share.

Money helps you learn how to spend and invest your money. Find advice and guidance you can count on from how to negotiate, how to save and everything in between.

Find out more about the latest developments in science and technology as TIME’s access brings you to the ideas and people changing our world.

Let TIME show you everything you need to know about drones, autonomous cars, smart devices and the latest inventions which are shaping industries and our way of living

Stay up to date on breaking news from around the world through TIME’s trusted reporting, insight and access

CONNECT WITH TIME
Web: http://time.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TIME
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/time
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/time/?hl=en
Magazine: http://time.com/magazine/
Newsletter: time.com/newsletter

ABOUT TIME
TIME brings unparalleled insight, access and authority to the news. A 24/7 news publication with nearly a century of experience, TIME’s coverage shapes how we understand our world. Subscribe for daily news, interviews, science, technology, politics, health, entertainment, and business updates, as well as exclusive videos from TIME’s Person of the Year, TIME 100 and more created by TIME’s acclaimed writers, producers and editors.

‘A Doll For Everyone’: Meet Mattel’s Gender-Neutral Doll | TIME

50 Comments

1. Bob Treduis on November 17, 2019 at 3:07 am

Why is everyone so angry? Why can’t a kid design they’re own doll? I don’t understand why there’s so much hate…

2. oldn dayzd on November 17, 2019 at 3:09 am

AFTER YRS OF THE SICK POWER SORO TYPE PEOPLE THIS IS WHAT THEY’VE CREATED BRAINWASHED ZOMBIES

3. Gracia Zanuttini González on November 17, 2019 at 3:11 am

I find it funny that all the people in the video, just happen to dress and look like the gender they were assigned by society…

4. Winston Smith on November 17, 2019 at 3:12 am

Jess (((Weiner))) Alien confirmed.

5. Foxy Avocado on November 17, 2019 at 3:15 am

One of the best ideas ever to be made as a children’s toy

6. captain of industry on November 17, 2019 at 3:16 am

mattel 1960 tommy submachine burst double action gun

Mattel 2019 gender I don’t know what and Why

7. Shinigami Kitsune on November 17, 2019 at 3:16 am

It’s not even that these dolls look bad or anything. They actually look pretty decent. But they should definitely be marketed towards adults, not young children who have absolutely no need for this. Just let kids be kids, for God’s sake.

8. S Hay on November 17, 2019 at 3:17 am

Take this bullshit way up the water tower

9. hibachiCourgette on November 17, 2019 at 3:17 am

Kids under the age of 10 already have a different generation? wtf

10. Ristocrat on November 17, 2019 at 3:18 am

Where are your parents. I bet ten dollars that the kids will throw them away after two days

11. Daniel Pereira on November 17, 2019 at 3:20 am

And then one day…

12. Jason Pellegrin on November 17, 2019 at 3:21 am

Never seen these dolls on the shelves of any store here in Tulare. So I assume this little publicity stunt failed. Well get woke go broke!

13. qTions on November 17, 2019 at 3:22 am

From me no more Mattel! Is the world crazy?!

14. Gunna Marta on November 17, 2019 at 3:22 am

Yall ever be adult people and get angry over a god damn doll?

15. Alexej V. on November 17, 2019 at 3:22 am

I think this is a beautiful idea that shows kids that they can wear what they want no matter their gender.

16. Angel B on November 17, 2019 at 3:23 am

Die spinnen mit ihrem Gendershit!! Da hilft nur noch Boykott. Such companies need to feel the decreasing sales!!!

17. P Belle on November 17, 2019 at 3:23 am

So relieved the overwhelming majority of commentors can see right through this garbage. Mattel, trying to cash in….OBVIOUSLY didn’t have any real research on this one, or they would know the vast majority are going to reject these creepy “genderless toys”.

18. James Wilson on November 17, 2019 at 3:24 am

O my God. Any US soldier in WW2 knowing this is how America would end up would have run to the German side & fought to protect the Reich like their civilization depended on it !

19. carlos Rivera on November 17, 2019 at 3:26 am

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO GI JOE’S?

20. lavenderskull on November 17, 2019 at 3:28 am

Jesus Christ, this comment section is toxic. Hopefully those kids that do end up playing with these toys will end up more open minded and accepting then these boomers in the comment section 💅

21. Child of jesus ZIGGY on November 17, 2019 at 3:30 am

These dolls are cool but it’s weird…it doesn’t feel right…and that’s coming from a child of god😂💛 𝒍𝒐𝒗𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖!

22. RextheRebel on November 17, 2019 at 3:31 am

So our hair and our clothes are what determine what your gender is? Interesting. So gender is something that is so arbitrary that we shouldn’t even pay attention to it and should go back to male/female? Good? Good.

I played worth doll houses btw when I was a kid. But yet here I am, 20 something years later snd I’m still a man ans I’m still masculine.

23. Simple Believer on November 17, 2019 at 3:31 am

The spirit of confusion is an antichrist spirit, straight from the devil himself. Jesus is coming soon to put an end to all of this foolishness!

24. Reagan Mote on November 17, 2019 at 3:32 am

Ruth Handler, the woman who created Barbie, would be ashamed.

25. Sugar Studios on November 17, 2019 at 3:33 am

Nobody:

Adults: AH YES CHILDREN BETWEEN THE AGES OF 4-11 CARE WHAT GENDER THEIR BARBIE DOLL IS.

26. c u t e p a d p a r a d s c h a :3 on November 17, 2019 at 3:34 am

we should just put things back to normal barbies

27. Nelson Ricardo on November 17, 2019 at 3:34 am

Meu Deus, o fim está chegando. Espero que seja um fisco.

28. Droid on November 17, 2019 at 3:37 am

WTF

29. Elder Blindness on November 17, 2019 at 3:37 am

You gotta love the way everyone finds a way to make money off of every oddity in society…..what next?…..seniors dolls so the kids can learn to care for their grandparents???……HEY!!…..I want 40% commission on that idea.

30. Jonathan Perez on November 17, 2019 at 3:37 am

My family and I will no longer support your company and products. Boys are boys and girls are girls, end of story. We should not be trying to normalize a mental illness and confusing our children. Shame on all of you.

31. Bradlee Mejia on November 17, 2019 at 3:38 am

I’m apartof the lgbt (b) but literally no kid ever wanted one of these like these are for adults to be proud

32. Alexej V. on November 17, 2019 at 3:39 am

If I was a kid this would help me a lot. As a trans person I was very uncomfortoble because I was thought that I should like girly stuff like dolls, dresses and the color pink. I think it is nice to spread diversity. It is actually very nice that now we teach girls that they can wear what they want and be who they want, but what about the boys? If a boy wants to wear a skirt, dress or something more feminine society asumes that he is gay, or trans woman or something like that. I think there is not a lot of straight man who wear dress. I am not saying they have to, but we shoul teach our children (girls and boys) that they can wear and be whatever they want.

33. nickiandrihannapeace on November 17, 2019 at 3:41 am

Wow. This comment section is so disappointing. I really thought we were becoming a more progressive and accepting society. I know I am going to be faced with a lot of hate, but let me just share what I have learned about this topic as a student completing her psychology degree where we are REQUIRED to learn about this:
    1) parents DO NOT force this on their child! There are several documentaries, I’d recommend looking this up, where the child knows their gender identity by age 3. In fact, studies show that majority of people who are transgender already are aware by 3.
    2) The parents dont "push it on them" or "brain wash them", they just want to make their child happy. Actually, studies show it is SOCIETY that brainwashes children to think that "girls need to play with barbies and wear pink" while "boys need to play with monster trucks and wear blue".
    3) Nobody is forcing a boy to play with barbies or a girl to play with monster trucks, forcing children to be trans. If the child likes barbie dolls or monster trucks, it’s their decision. Parents simply want their child to be happy.
    4) There seems to be confusion on the difference between sex and gender. Sex is binary. Yes, you can only be born as a male with a penis and a female with a vagina. But gender is non binary, your personality and interests define your gender.
    I know people are going to come at me but I know the facts as I am seeking a degree in a subject which discusses the subject matter. Have a nice day!

34. The Fangirl on November 17, 2019 at 3:41 am

I’ve seen a few videos of these already, and to be honest I feel like it’s cool for kids to just not have to focus on boy or girl and they can just focus on their imagination

but I feel like the only really good things that are coming out of these dolls is the fact that they’re fully articulated

aaaaaand they are of decent quality and actually look like real children

35. MidnightZoey on November 17, 2019 at 3:42 am

Ok but this is actually really cool

36. HilarityBribo on November 17, 2019 at 3:43 am

And leftists try to hijack science

37. BeMoreKi on November 17, 2019 at 3:43 am

I think this is amazing! Kids should be allowed to play with doll regardless of their gender & a doll’s gender shouldn’t matter either because after all dolls are genderless anyway. Also I think it’s cute the dolls have joints just like action figures, I used to hate how stiff some of my barbies were. 🙂

38. little Bella on November 17, 2019 at 3:44 am

This is a great thing, i know a lot of kids who would love a doll that repersents there gender!

39. Xiao Mao! on November 17, 2019 at 3:46 am

#transcult #peaktrans #pedocriminal

/r/gendercritical

40. Gage The Don on November 17, 2019 at 3:47 am

Poor kids 😔 its truly sad what society is doing to the youth

41. Patrick Patrick on November 17, 2019 at 3:47 am

toys for moronic parents.

42. Sam Arellanes on November 17, 2019 at 3:49 am

So many small minded people here but nonetheless these barbies have still been created !! 😂 and I hope the kids get to enjoy themselves

43. Peachy Moon on November 17, 2019 at 3:53 am

the clean, no makeup face is great, for girl Barbie’s. but this gender fluid indoctrination BS…. NO. not buying this. Mattel spokeswoman admits it is indoctrination to accept new ideas

44. carlos Rivera on November 17, 2019 at 3:55 am

…. LETS ALL BOYCOTT ANY COMPANY THAT PROMOTES THIS BS… THATS HOW WE WIN… BOYCOTT

45. c u t e p a d p a r a d s c h a :3 on November 17, 2019 at 3:56 am

I feel like the reason dolls exist is to escape reality not to put more into dolls.

46. HeadstrongHarpy on November 17, 2019 at 3:57 am

Something about how this is a child’s body being advertised to children represent an adult topic that they have no comprehension of, is disturbing to me. The funny part is, they didn’t just make all Barbie’s heads compatible with the new wigs so that you could truly be as inclusive as you want, they limited it to this one doll. So you’d have to spend double the money.

Plus, this ain’t nothing new. When I was 10 I wished they had different wigs for Barbies. Not because I was gender-fluid but because I cut the hair off one of them and it looked horrible.

47. SUPER EXTRAsixty on November 17, 2019 at 3:59 am

Why keep fucking with the children!!! No child should even be in this discussion. Then they wonder why we don’t like the. Leave OUR kids out of that sick and twisted shit.

48. P Belle on November 17, 2019 at 4:02 am

Christmas right around the corner, time to vote with your wallets, America! Let THAT be their “research”!

49. Carina Grajales on November 17, 2019 at 4:03 am

Poisoning the young minds. 😐.

50. Keshia Anders on November 17, 2019 at 4:04 am

Technically, unisex dolls have been around from the beginning & still have them today (mostly as craft dolls), so these things aren’t the first gender-neutral dolls.😕

They still need work, especially with the wigs & choices of clothes.